- "Disagreement with a bald-faced liar", Conference on Post-Truth and the Objectivity of Epistemic Norms, University of Sussex. 7-8 November 2019.
- "Amelioration v. Perversion", 2nd Budapest Language and Power workshop,, Eötvös University (ELTE), Budapest, Hungary, 19 October 2019
- "Illocutionary force and attitude mode in normative disputes", in the Meta-Theories of Disagreement Workshop, Lendület Morals and Science Research Group, Research Center for the Humanities, Budapest, Hungary, 17-18 October 2019.
- "Disagreement with a bald.faced liar", Conference Fictions, LIes, and Artworlds The University of Adelaide, August 2 2019.
- "In a sentimental mode: hoiw speech structures the social", Constructing Social Reality conference, University of Melbourne, July 15 - 17 2019.
- Disagreement with a bald-faced liar at the AAP in Wollongong, Australia, July 2019.
- `How Philosophy of Language Can Help us Navigate the News Cycle''. Workshop Democracy, Rights, and Populism: Contested Concepts and Rhetorical Uses, University of Piemonte Orientale, Vercelli, 21-22 November 2018.
- ``Amelioration v. Perversion'', Social Metaphysics seminar, University of Barcelona, 26 October 2018.
- “Dangerous Speech and Collective Action”, at the Social Ontology 2018 Conference, in August 22-25, 2018, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
- "Amelioration vs Perversion" in the Legal Theory Festival in the University of Edinburgh in June 2018, also at the Valencia Philosophy Lab Colloquium in May 2018.
- And I was a discussant at the Symposium on Kate Manne's book Down Girl: The Logic of Misogyny organized by Vera Tripodi and Carlotta Pavese, in June 2018..
- Presented a paper on slurs at the GRSeminar convened by Esa Díaz León in the spring semester of 2017/2018. I had presented the paper “Dangerous Political Speech and Collective Action” in the GRSeminar in the first semester.
- ``Words --> Action'' at the conference Who's Got the Power? Philosophical Critique of Social and Political Structures Conference, University of Iceland, Reykjavik. October 6-7, 2017.
- `What metalinguistic negotiations don't do'', at ECAP9 -- 9th European Congress of Analytic Philosophy, Munich, August 2017, and at the ConceptLab Seminar in Oslo, 12 September 2017.``Words, Actions, Conflicts'', Lisbon Values Argumentation Conference, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 28-29 June 2017.
- "Hybrid dispositionalism and the law" at the Workshop Metaphysics in the Law that took place at the University of Barcelona 22-23 May 2017, and will present it again at day 4 of the Legal Theory Festival at the University of Edinburgh, on 1 June 2017.
- "Falsity and Retractions" at the Workshop Contextualism v. Relativism: Empirical Perspectives that took place at NYU on 11 March 2017.
- "What metalinguistic negotiations don't do" at the Seminar of the ERC project The Emergence of Relativism on 29 May 2017.
- "What metalinguistic negotiations won't do: the epistemic case" at the workshop Epistemic Expressivism, organized by Neftalí Villanueva and Manolo Pinedo at the University of Granada, on 10 and 11 January 2017.
- "What metalinguistic negotiations won't do" at the workshop Law, Language, and Normativity, organized by Hrafn Asgeirsson at the University of Surrey, 12 and 13 January 2017.
- I gave two lectures at the Padova Summer School in Philosophy - On Objectivity. The first was on aesthetic disagreements, and the second on legal disputes. Photos here.
- "A Puzzle of Conflicts" at the International workshop on EMOTIONS AND CONFLICT Pisa, February 3-5, 2016
- "Pejoratives: how the analogy with fiction breaks down" at the LanCog Seminar on December 18, 12h.
- "Pejoratives: how the analogy with fiction breaks down" at the workshop The Roots of Fiction taking place at Universidade de Macau, 5-6 December 2015.
- "Falsity and Retractions: New experimental data on epistemic modals" at the Pervasive Context conference at Peking University, 24-25 October 2015.
- "Falsity and Retractions: New experimental data on epistemic modals" LOGOS Seminar at the University of Barcelona on October 14, 2015
- "Character and Content in Hybrid Expressivism", 8th Congress of the Spanish Society for Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Barcelona, 7-10 July 2015.
- While at Eidyn, I did a "piggy back session" organized by the Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group, in which I talked about 'Stereotype threat and silencing: two causes of difference' (Monday 22nd of June 2015, 3-4pm in Dugald Stewart Building Room 1.01.)
- I commented on Hrafn Asgeirsson's paper on vagueness, knowability and judicial discretion at the Legal Philosophy Workshop in Edinburgh, 13-14 June 2015.
- "A Puzzle for Conflicts" at the 8th Latin Meeting for Analytic Philosophy, that took place in Milan June 2015. Comments by Sebastiano Moruzzi.
- “La Construcción Social de Hechos Reales”. Seminar, Montevideo, Uruguay. 8 April 2015.
- “Aesthetic Predicates: A Hybrid Dispositional Account”, SADAF Seminar, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 30 March 2015.
- “De Se Dispositions and Conflicting Attitudes”, Philosophisches Seminar of the University of Zurich — Dissens - Disagreement , 2 March 2015.
- "Character and Content in Hybrid Expressivism", Semantic Pluralism Workshop, with David Chalmers, Konstanz, January 2015.
- "The Relevance of Causal Social Construction", XXIII SIUCC -- Seminario Inter Universitário de Ciéncia Cognitiva, invited speaker: Jennifer Hornsby, Seville, November 6-8, 2014.
- "De Se or De Nobis?" 2nd PLM workshop, with John Perry. University of the Basque Country, Donostia/S. Sebastian. September 2014. (link with videos to talks, comments and discussion).
- "Varieties of Constructionism", ESPP - European Society for Philosophy and Psychology Annual Congress, Noto, Sicily, September 2014.
I introduced and moderated Jason Stanley's public lecture "How Fascism Works" at the CCCB, on November 25, 2019.
Esa Díaz León and I discussed the importance of dangerous speech at an outreach event of the Diaphora project, as part of the Barcelona Pensa philosophy festival.
I participated in a fun event, Flash Philosophy, part of the philosophy festival Barcelona Pensa. You can see on the left a little of what we're up to.
I had fun giving a talk for high school students, 17 November 2011, World Philosophy Day, at Escola Secundária António Gedeão, on the importance of logic. In Portuguese, A Importância da Lógica. You can see it on the left.
Events organized or convened...
- BW11 Barcelona Workshop on Issues in Conceptual Ethics and Engineering, University of Barcelona, 30-31 May 2019.
- Convened a reading group on Value Talk and Though during the academic year of 2017/2018.
- I convened a lunchtime reading group on Kate Manne's Down Girl: the Logic of Misogyny in the second semester of 2017/2018
- Interuniversity workshop Mind, Art, and Morality Language & Power organized with Esa Díaz León in May 22-23 at the University of Barcelona.
- Reading group on Kasper Lippert-Rasmussen's book Born Free and Equal? A philosophical inquiry into the nature of discrimination (2014) Oxford University Press, at University Pompeu Fabra.
- Organized with Chiara Valentini the conference on Collective Action and the Law, 15-16 September 2016. The program for the event is available on the site. You can see pictures from the conference here.
- Organized the NOMOS Network Meeting, with Sally Haslanger, and other great speakers and discussants, at UPF. June 6-8 2016. Pictures here.
- Organized the Final Conference of the EuroUnderstanding, EUROCORES EuroUnderstanding programme of the ESF, 8-10 May 2014 in Lisbon. The conference took place at the Gulbenkian Foundation (Auditorium 3).
- LanCog Workshop Values in Context Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon
23-24 May 2013ECAP5, Fifth European Congress for Analytic Philosophy, Faculdade de Letras, University of Lisbon, August 2005 (Local organizing committee).
- Workshop on Fiction and the Imagination, Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, 6-7 December 2012.
- ENFA5, Fifth meeting of the Portuguese Society for Analytic Philosophy Braga, 13-15 September 2012.
- Graduate Workshop - Oficina de Filosofia Analítica 8/OFA8 Lisbon, 10-12 September 2012.
- Coordination and Disagreement across Perspectives Workshop Lisbon, 10-12 September 2012 This event, as part of the European Science Foundation EUROCORES Programme EuroUnderstanding, is supported by funds from FWF, FWO, DCIR, ETF, CNR, NWO, RCN, MNiSW, FCT, VR.
- Latin Meeting in Analytic Philosophy, November 2011 University of Lisbon. (Local organizing committee and scientific committee).
- Workshop on Negation and Denial, Lisbon, 7-8 July 2008. (Organization)
- ENFA4, 4º Encontro da Sociedade Portuguesa de Filosofia Analítica, Universidade de Évora, September 2009. (Local organizing committee and scientific committee)
- ECAP5, Fifth European Congress for Analytic Philosophy, Faculdade de Letras, University of Lisbon, August 2005 (Local organizing committee).
Click here to edit.
OFICINA DE FILOSOFIA ANALÍTICA: I organized OFA1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 (the last with Luís Duarte d'Almeida), which took place at the Sociedade Portuguesa de Filosofia, under the auspices of the Portuguese Society for Analytic Philosophy. The eight edition was integrated in the workshop Coordination and Disagreement across Perspectives (see above).